I was talking to a friend today about a past relationship of hers. She explained why she thought it was best for them to just call it quits.
And when she started telling me about all of the little things that he would do to upset her, I understood. It wasn't necessarily that he was a terrible person. He just wasn't the right person for her. The things she wanted in a relationship weren't the things that he was able or willing to give to her.
And honestly, it got me thinking about standards.
Standards are something we all should have, They're the things we decide we deserve, the way we expect to be treated and the things we simply aren't willing to settle for.
But here's the thing: Not everyone's standards are the same.
What I may consider a dealbreaker might not bother you at all.What you need from a relationship might be the complete opposite. And that's okay.
Sometimes we spend so much time trying to convince ourselves that someone is " good enough" because they aren't a bad person. But someone can be a good person and still not be the person that is right for you.
Maybe the real question isn't " Are my standards too high?"
Maybe its " Does this person actually meet the standards that I have set for myself?"
Because at the end of the day, I'd rather be alone that constantly lowering my standards just to keep someone around.
And maybe that's not being picky. Maybe that's knowing yourself.
Have you ever had to choose between lowering your standards and letting someone go?
Until Next Time, XOXO DIVA
no because yessss standards are a must have , i cant keep lowering my standards for something that wont make me happy infact it should get higher because why would people have to compensate their standards because others cant reach
ReplyDelete