Wednesday, July 29, 2026

The Life Society Planned For Me

 I wonder.... at what point did we all stop living for ourselves and start performing for everyone else?

Somewhere along the way, society handed us an individual checklist. Be confident, but not too loud. Be pretty, but don't try too hard. Chase your dreams, but always make sure they're practical. Wear what everyone else is thinking. And fit into the box that was never built for you.

It's exhausting.

The funny thing about these expectations are that they never stop changing. One day you're "too much" and the next you're "not enough" Trends come and go. Opinions change overnight . And the finish line keeps moving, but somehow we're expected to keep up.

I've caught myself wondering if I'm making choices because i genuinely want them or because they'll make me more acceptable to everyone else.  And that's a scary realization. How many versions of ourselves have we left behind just to fit into the spaces that were never meant for us?

The older i get, the more i start to realize that fitting in isn't as rewarding as i thought it would be. Every time i watered myself to try to be more likeable, i lost a little bit of what made me.... me. And honestly, I'd rather be remembered for being unapologetically myself than praised for being a copy of someone else.

Maybe that's the real challenge not becoming who society expects you to be, but having the actual courage to become who you already are. 

Because the people who we are meant for you won't ask you to change. They don't ask you to change your style, your laugh, your personality, or your dreams just to make them comfortable. they'll celebrate the parts of you that the world expects you to hide.

So today, I'm going to remind myself that i don't need to earn the right to be authentically me. I don't have to fit every expectation placed on me. I don't have to follow every trend or live by someone else's timeline.

Maybe the most rebellious thing we all can do is simply just be ourselves.

And maybe that will be enough. 

 

 

 

 

  

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Art Of Being Seen